Buying Furniture - Top Tips
1. Before embarking on your furniture search look through home shopping and design books and get a clear idea of the kind of furniture you want. Consider size, durability, design, as well as your personal choice and your current interior design scheme.
2. Measure out the space in your home first. Ask for dimensions of the item of furniture that interests you and then make sure it will fit in the space you intend it for. Allow for a few extra inches to account for possible inaccuracies in measuring.
3. Make certain that you get the furniture that you really wanted. Before purchasing any furniture consider how the style and dimension of the item must blend within your current furnishing theme of the room. Doing so will give you satisfaction and gratification on being able to buy the fixture that you need.
4. Consider using computer aided design tools to arrange the furniture you wish to purchase in the rooms and view the effect and colour balance virtually. This will greatly assist you when making a final purchase decision.
5. Ask the seller about the history of the item. How long have they had it? Has it been damaged? Where did they buy it? Ask for dimensions of the furniture.
6. Negotiate a price before you meet with the seller. One common mistake is waiting until you see the item and then offering a much lower price. If the item isn't in the condition that was posted this is a different story. When talking over the phone or by email, confirm the price or what you are willing to pay in advance. This will prevent misunderstandings when you meet the seller in person.
7. Ask for warranty papers/directions/manuals, especially for newer furniture or household items where the seller will probably still have the original paperwork that went with it. If they don't it is fine but it doesn't hurt to ask and it may save you time and money in the future if it gets damaged or has faulty manufacturer workmanship.
8. Buying furniture online is a bit like going on a blind date. Until you see it with your own eyes you don't really know what you're going to get.
9. Check out the item thoroughly before buying. When reviewing the furniture, look it over and test it out thoroughly. If it's a chair, sit in it, turn it over and look at construction, etc. Things to look for include wear and tear, solidity of construction, working parts and loose components. If the seller posted the ad as selling it "As-is" then you are being warned that the current condition is how they are selling it.
10. Do not rush with your purchase. Think twice if this is the furniture item you really need and whether it will match the design and style of your home. You need to analyse and evaluate your needs and make comparisons.